Thursday, December 11, 2014

How Does An Artist Know When a Painting is Done?








How do I know when a painting is done?  This is the most common question I am asked.  It is also very difficult to answer.  To answer this I also need to touch on how do I get started?
The most challenging thing for me as an artist is to describe my process of creating a painting, as it is such an internal and methodical act.


I most always know the color palate I will use, although I often add new colors as I see the painting evolve.

Painting for me is a process of many layers of paint and mixed media, which change as I add color and markings to the canvas. I sometimes have an idea of the final product, but this can change as I add new layers.  I like to cover up areas of already dried paint layers and also scrape away wet paint to reveal a previous layer.




I find a painting to be most interesting when it has many textures and layers.




At this stage, there are no mistakes.  I can always turn an unplanned drip of paint into an interesting part of the painting. I can cover it up or make it work within the layers.




As I get further along with the painting, I become more careful with my marks and where I add my medium.

Every mark I add at this point effects another area of the painting.
A major part of the overall aesthetic of the painting, for me, is balance. If I add a mark to one area when the painting is in it's last stage, I may need to add another mark somewhere else on the piece...and maybe another. 
At this stage I do a lot of standing back from the painting and observing it overall.


(c)Christy Tremblay 2014-2015

I know the painting is done, when I feel- that if I add one more mark it could change the whole look.  It is done when I feel there is nothing else to add.

Sometimes I have made the mistake of adding a new element to a painting I thought was finished. This turned into hours more of working on the painting to balance it and make these new marks work within the whole piece.




I love seeing the stages of a painting.
Here is a painting I recently created in different stages.


 
Adding base color.




Some mixed media application.
 




More paint, mixed media, and covering of layers.

(c)Christy Tremblay 2014-2015

Adding markings and more mixed media to the top dried layer. I look for balance of the painting and observe if it is has a feeling of wholeness.
 
 
I hope this helps to answer the question of - How does an artist know a painting is done?

Look in my studio and more art!
 
If you have any questions for me please feel free to leave a comment here on my blog.  Or send me an email to, my email
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 


 
 
 
 



























































 

No comments: